Friday, October 6, 2023

One Quilt Four Ways / Beauties Pageant 231


I fell down the rabbit hole that is EQ7 last weekend. But can you blame me? It’s satisfying to see how different fabric collections would look in a quilt design without sewing a stitch.

What you see here is my Double-Sided Diamond Quilt, a layer cake-friendly pattern that I wrote about last week, in four different Moda collections. (Pssst ... Moda didn’t put me up to this post. I just like the company’s modern designers and consider it the OG precut manufacturer!)

Dawn on the Prairie

Designer Stephanie Sliwinski of Fancy That Design House caught my eye back in 2021 with her debut collection, Songbook. I’ve loved the floral designs and palettes in every collection of hers since then. Theres just something different about them. Check out her latest line, Dawn on the Prairie, at the top of the post. See what I mean? The color combination isn’t one I could have developed myself, and it’s so good. The earthy tones in rust, brown, and charcoal are surprisingly good companions for blush and mustard. Beautiful!

Fruit Loop

I am a big fan of Basic Grey—just check out the 40-some posts of mine that reference the design house (click here). I am especially drawn to its collections with gray undertones. (Some—like Nutmeg, Cider, and Persimmon—have more brown undertones, and they’re not my thing.)

Fruit Loop, pictured below, hasn’t been released but is circulating on social media. It’s a different kind of collection for Basic Grey, with all those bright fruit-themed prints, while remaining true to the design house’s aesthetic. And it has a black colorway, which pretty much seals the deal for me!

 

Sunflowers in My Heart

I credit some of my brightest quilt projects to Kate Spain, whose use of color often pushes me out of my comfort zone. I especially like her use of pinks and reds (check out my first Plaid-ish quilt and my first Warm and Cool Coin quilt). 

Her latest fabric line, Sunflowers in My Heart, is in my mind pretty different from her other collections, but maybe it’s just the way I mocked up this quilt design. I think of it as a blue fabric collection. Perhaps if I had used a different color on the mocked-up backing I would say otherwise? (You know I’m going to go straight to EQ7 and find out as soon as I finish this post!) Way way or another, it’s really lovely, and I’m especially smitten with the large-scale floral print.

 

Lighthearted

And then there’s Lighthearted, the collection by Camille Roskelley I included in last week’s post. Lighthearted is a throwback to when Camille designed collections with her mom and features the signature Bonnie and Camille color palette, with pink, a not-quite-red hue, aqua, and grassy green.

And that concludes my spate of precut-focused blog posts. You can click through to the previous four posts with the links below. And stop back next week, when I will unveil my two Postcard from Sweden quilts!

My latest precut posts:

* * *

The Double-Sided Diamond Quilt is one of my Almost Free for Charity PDF patterns. 

It’s just $3 in my Etsy shop, $1 of which goes to an organization supporting the Down syndrome community.

Follow Me On ...


 
* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

5 comments:

  1. Lovely mockups. I do love a good blue, yellow, and white color combination so it was fun to see the Sunflowers in my Heart version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! TWO Postcard from Sweden quilts?! I thought one was more than enough to make, but well worth the effort. Gosh, I'm so glad I'm not forced to pick one of those color combinations as my favorite because I'm drawn to several. Have a great weekend! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing the different vibes that fabric collections make! I know all too well about rabbit holes; nearly fell down one yesterday myself... Pattern bought! Can't wait to see your two PfS quilts! I have another two in my future - one to gift and one to keep. Both of the ones I've already made have (not originally intended to be so) gone to new homes where they are cherished, so that's all that matters. But I'd really like one to keep for moi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle, I can see why you could get addicted to playing with the EQ. It's a great way to see how a collection will look (although you then end up buying the collection, right?) Have fun and thanks for the linking party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are totally right: Mocking up a pattern in fabric collections is truely a joy! And for me it is also fun to see what collections someone else will gravitate towards. I would have never picked these on my own, but I especially like the Sunflowers in my Heart mock-up! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.