Friday, December 23, 2022

Time to Pivot / Beauties Pageant 199

There are many things I do not like about Instagram. (Don’t even get me started about Reels!) But when I encountered a creative roadblock with a recent project, Instagram was the perfect place to work through the issue and consider possible solutions.

Exhibit A: An in-process baby quilt that was giving off an I’m-too-busy vibe. I knew when I started the project that there were going to be too many prints for my taste, but goaded on by an early January deadline, I jumped in anyway, quickly cutting and piecing the nine simple blocks. Unsure of how to fix the issue, I posted a poll to my Instagram Stories to see whether people thought I should continue on this course or give the viewer’s eye a break with skinny sashing.

A lot of people chimed in! After mulling over the results of the poll and my conversations with people about the quilt, though, I went a different way. I “unsewed” those blocks with a low-volume fabric on their edges and replaced it with a solid cream. Then I alternated the blocks with light edges and those with darker ones ...

I like it! The result is much more “me” than the original. I’m going to quilt the project with an allover crosshatch and finish it off with a matching yellow binding. 

I occasionally reach out to the Instagram audience about stuff like this, but this time was especially fun. I know the work of so many of the respondents, and for a good number of them, I could predict those who would vote to keep the original quilt as is (that is, because I know they are more adventurous with fabric and color than I am) and those who, like me, suggested changes. I kind of love that about quilting: Our projects tell others about what we like and what we don’t. You don’t need to design fabric/create patterns/submit to shows to have a signature way with the quilts you create. : )

For those of you who celebrate Christmas, I wish you a happy one this Sunday!

For those of you who are also on Instagram, I’m giving away a copy of Cheryl Brickey’s Just One Charm Pack Quilts. Look for this post for full details (entries close on midnight [GMT-5:00] on December 25) ...


Follow Me On ...  


 
* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

  1. What a huge difference! I am not sure I saw your question - but I love the change. Merry Christmas! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun fabrics in this quilt! I thought it looked great until you shared the final version. The addition of the cream us a perfect solution. What a difference!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see your original post asking for input (ugh, Instagram) but I do think that your solution is perfect for the quilt. Have fun finishing it up and I hope you and your family have a very cozy and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small changes is sometimes all a quilt needs. It looks great. Have a very Merry Christmas Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the first one, just as much as the second one. Both are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle, you hit on the perfect solution. Sometimes we just need to step back, but that also usually requires time. Have a great holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo sent me. Don't do Instagram but send pictures back and forth with my daughter. She is good with matching prints and her husband is no slouch about quilt questions either. We try to talk him into quilting too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.