Friday, June 21, 2024

A Sweet Quilted Mermaid / Beauties Pageant 256

 

The past six weeks have been marked by an unusual phenomenon for me: foundation paper piecing. I am no stranger to the precision I can achieve with this technique, but I am more of a traditional-piecing kind of girl.

Past FPP projects have included my last week’s Little Sprout mini (see it here), Grape Fizz, a Henlo Fren pillow, my Warm and Cool Quilt (which requires minimal and very basic FPP), and my Set to Spin design (which involves a bunch of time and many pieces but is so pretty) ...


 



This week, I’m unveiling my finished mermaid mini from designer Kid Giddy (see the top of the post). This design may be small, but it is definitely an intermediate-level project. My seam ripper got a good workout as I connected the pieces with long stitches, tore those stitches out, and then tried again to get a clean join. In the end, the effort was worth the great results.

I finished this cutie off with minimal quilting. I didn’t want to take away from Miss Mermaid or the fabulous mermaids in the background fabric ...

That amazing background fabric—and the prints for her body—came from a half-yard bundle of Magic, an older line by Sarah Jane. There is a lot of that bundle left, and I have a new freebie in the works as a result. 

Here’s the deal with my free patterns: They are sent directly to newsletter subscribers. I then release them in my Etsy shop for a nominal fee for quilters who aren’t into newsletters. A dollar of each of those sales goes to support a Down syndrome organization. (Read about my connection to DS here.) If you want to get in on the free option, I recommend signing up for the newsletter now. I expect to release the pattern before the end of the summer!

Linking up to My Favorite Finish at Quilting Jet Girl!

Follow Me On ...


 
* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet mini quilt! The prints are perfection and it sounds like they were a good source of inspiration, too. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little mermaid! Foundation paperpiecing is the way to go for small piece accuracy, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really hit this one out of the park. Perfect design for those fun prints. Nice job Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this little mermaid and FPP is the way to go. I have not been doing much on the creative side with my own patterns, but that is the way it goes sometimes. I do love that purple quilt, too, and think mine would be a hot mess but yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute mermaid! I sure can see that it has oodles of little pieces, and imagine it was a little challenging to sew... and unsew. I sure like the look of a well-pieced quilt, and that's most often accomplished with FPP. I guess I have a sort of love-hate relationships with it because it can be "futzy" and beautiful at the same time. Well done you, for sticking with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle, congrats on your lovely mermaid! I had to read your "Henlo Fren" to figure out what that meant. It's so funny because I now realise where my son's doggo language comes from. He doesn't do much social media, so it's either his fiancé or these expressions are now part of main stream vocabulary. Even I used some since I've heard them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty mermaid princess!!! A lot of pieces! Makes for great details!!! Love the little mermaid friends in the background, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.