Friday, September 1, 2017

Déjà vu Baby Quilt

Do you hear that sound? It’s the sound of glorious, merciful silence. It’s the sound that children are in school and not, say, demanding to be played with or asking to be fed. This beautiful silence ensures that I will go six or seven hours Monday through Friday without hearing “Can I have iPad?” or “Rose ate a shoe!” or “Mom, he’s naked!”

I have waited ten weeks for the silence to return, and I deserve some quality time in my sewing space now that it has.

In fact, my first full day of quiet resulted in a finished baby quilt ...

The salmon, yellow, and gray in these fabrics are so pretty.

I’ve sewn this pattern, Cheryl Brickey’s Candy Circle Quilt, before, back in 2014. (See the tutorial on the Moda Bake Shop here.) I don’t usually tackle a quilt pattern more than once, but I had a single charm pack of Corey Yoder’s Sundrops, and it was all that I needed to create the lovely variety in this ring of squares.

The back was a great place to use up some stashed half-yards.

I quilted this project the same way I did my original Candy Circle quilt. I quilted along each side of the center seams and then quilted diagonally along the 2-inch squares. This approach required very little marking, and I love how the diagonals cross at the center of each edge.

The quilting is simple, just the way I like it!

This is the first of five quilt tops of mine that need to be quilted. I want to wrap up another quilt or two before I embark on something new. Time will tell if I am disciplined enough to stick to that plan!

What are your sewing goals for the fall? Did you have a productive summer, or were you, like me, squeezing in sewing time while chasing after kiddos?

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday ...

Follow on Bloglovin

15 comments:

  1. This is so darling! My fall goals are just keeping up on all of my deadlines -- my kids have fur so they are slightly less stressful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the grid that gets created by the quilting lines, too! I look forward to seeing what you decide to work on next...

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWW! Yes... the sound of silence is a wonderfully calming thing. Take it from me, you will look back on these times fondly and wish you could revisit them. My daughter just turned 18 yesterday. Your finished baby quilt is simply the sweetest. I love the quilting you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily, my little ones are grown but the Mr. demands a lot of time.
    I am finishing up my projects so I can feel free to start something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking quilt! And silence really is golden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that must be an amazing feeling - I'm glad you took the time to really enjoy and appreciate it, and what a beautiful quilt was the result!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle,
    The quiet. I know of what you speak - they are all back by me!! HAHA I truly am glad though - those 10 weeks of quiet with no staff or students is way too long for me. I love hearing all the kiddos back. Beautiful quilt! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Instead of kids now to attend to, we have four dogs who are demanding in their own ways. I love the quilting--it's how I like to quilt, simple lines and no marking. I'm going to check out the pattern now, I love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No little ones, but my adult ones took a lot of time this summer, one especially, so it wasn't as productive as I'd hoped. I really like this quilt and thank you for the link to Moda Bakeshop for it. I had missed this one of Cheryl's designs and I really like it. I am hoping for a more productive fall, starting with a baby quilt that is on my living room floor waiting for a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these colors, pretty finish! Enjoy your time, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done. I hope you enjoy the silence and all the time to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I love this version of Candy Circle. The fabrics and quilting design you used are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember those days of finally getting the kids back to school!! You picked a great pattern to celebrate the silence! I just finished quilting one quilt, have another on the machine and one more in the wings...progress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this pattern saved somewhere and really want to make it. Yours is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.