Tuesday, April 14, 2015

One Sewist’s Scraps ...

As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I’ve honed my scrap-saving techniques over the past year. I keep everything that’s a 2.5-inch square or larger, sorting the fabric by color and storing it in a big old bin o’ scraps.

I’ve since realized that there was another category to consider: those neglected tiny scraps. Some of them are pretty awesome fabrics from pretty awesome designers, and I feel guilty tossing them. Although I don’t want to keep track of these little bits, my friend Chelsea loves scraps of all sizes, so my sewing room now includes a going-to-Chelsea scrap bag.

Chelsea made this Friendship Bag (check out the tutorial) for a Yankee swap with some of the scraps I’ve given her. It’s fitting that I ended up being the recipient of the bag during the swap. See? It’s the ideal life cycle of fabric scraps. Give them away and get them back in a new form!

Made by Chelsea, of Patch the Giraffe

I’ve recently added a third category to my efforts: stuff that doesn’t inspire me anymore. A case in point is Denyse Schmidt’s Hope Valley. For the record, I adore this line of fabric. I had the entire line in fat quarters with yardage on top of that. It’s the foundation of my (aptly named) Hope Valley Quilt, and Hope Valley scraps appear in one of these Jane Market Bags, this Noodlehead bag, my Scrappy Color Wheel Quilt, and other projects I’ve long forgotten about. At this point, however, I’m Hope Valley–ed out, so the scraps and leftover yardage are set aside for another friend.

I’m not the only one who sees the benefit of passing on unwanted or uninspiring scraps. In fact, I’ve received scraps from two friends recently.

First up, Miss Audrey gave me her Bluebird Park scraps, which were left over from this quilt. Eep! I consistently like the whimsical designs of Kate & Birdie but have only ever bought one yard, from the Autumn Woods collection (like Hope Valley, it appears in my Scrappy Color Wheel Quilt). Once the bundle of K&B goodness arrived from Audrey, I quickly set my mind to using the smallest scraps in some cards ...

It’s hard to go wrong when hedgehogs are involved!

Then there’s my Cargo Duffle Bag, designed by Anna Graham of Noodlehead. (For the free pattern, visit the Robert Kaufman site.) Miss Kim sent me generous cuts of Amy Butler’s Midwest Modern line that were left over from a baby quilt. I was going to use them in a gray and yellow quilt of my own, but the fabric didn’t match up to the grays and yellows I had already purchased. Naturally, my solution was to use these scraps in a bag. I’m pleased with the results and look forward to taking this duffle on my sewing retreat this weekend.

OK, this lovely still needs snaps, but she’ll be done in time for Maine!

UPDATE: Both fabric bundles have been spoken for. All that remains is the patterns. Thanks! In the spirit of passing along scraps that I no longer want/need/find inspiring, I have two bundles that are up for grabs. There’s a pile of brights (first picture below) that includes three fat quarters from Amy Butler and others and a pile of charms from Kate Spain’s Horizon collection. The traditional lot (second picture below) is more substantial, with burgundy quarter yards that didn’t make the cut for this quilt, plus pieces designed by Brannock and Patek and by 3 Sisters.



While I’m at it, I also have two older patterns. You’ll have to overlook the rather hideous cover pics (!) and envision the loveliness you can make with your superior fabric choices. : )


If you’re interested, leave a comment below, indicating what you’d like, and I’ll ship it to you. First come, first served. No-reply bloggers, please include your email address in your comment. I’ll contact interested readers via email to obtain mailing addresses. Sorry, folks, U.S. mailing addresses only. These piles are too small to justify sending them up to Canada or overseas. My May giveaway, part of Sew Mama Sew’s Giveaway Day event, will be open to international addresses. Promise!

Linking up to Scraptastic Tuesday, Sew Cute Tuesday, Let’s Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday, Finish It Up Friday, and TGIFF ...

Follow on Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. I would love the amy butler pack! I'd put them to good use! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of Brannock and Patek and 3 Sisters....would love to put them to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'd love the Horizon charms - I have a layer cake of that line and I have an idea to combine them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness! Those cards are SOOOO cute. Definitely the perfect use! Sending those to you was definitely the right call! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That duffel looks wonderful is wonderful Michelle. It cracks me up that you ended up with Chelsea's scrap bag made from your scraps; it really is the full life cycle of fabric! Hope you girls have fun at the retreat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could use the traditional lot in my current quilt. It requires reds, tans, and browns. The quilt is for my aunt and I could make her the Traveler's Tote for her bus rides, also.thank you, peterstankovich@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the idea of passing scraps between friends in whatever for they end up! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes your friend Chelsea loves your scraps. One mans trash is another man's treasure! Can't wait to dive into my new bag ... oh the possibilities :) Thanks again for being so generous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that throwing away good scraps is a shame. It's wonderful that you have found friends who appreciate your scraps and that are sharing their leftovers with you, as well. Hope you have a wonderful time at your sewing retreat this weekend. Looking forward to reading about it next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Linking up from Bee Social! I love that your scraps found their way home - it shows why we find it hard to dispose of them - we are sort of 'partners'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun ideas! I'm terrible at using scraps. Mine are tucked away and I'm always tempted by the luscious fat quarters and yardage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dropping by from Let's Bee Social, I'm a scrap hoarder too and you've certainly made great use of yours! - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cards you made using the scraps, what did you use to glue down the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a glue stick to put just enough glue on to keep everything in place and then straight-line stitched around the fabric with my machine, using the same needle and thread as I normally do. : )

      Delete
  14. Those cards are fabulous! Brilliant idea to use up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Noodlehead bag. I've been eying that one for a while. So true that Amy Butler prints don't usually play well with others. A fine selection of projects here for small scraps... though, if I'm honest, I'd have to say that I tend to toss anything smaller than 2½ inch squares! ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.