Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Going Once, Going Twice—Sold!

When I joined the New Hampshire Modern Quilt Guild, I anticipated making new quilty friends and honing my quilting skills. And sure enough, between our monthly meetings, a sew-in, and a retreat, I have learned a lot and have got to know my fellow fabric-loving, quilt-obsessed guild members better. When I initially joined, however, I didn’t expect that we would also use our skills at the sewing machine for good, and it’s proved to be a highlight of my guild experiences.

Our first charitable cause was creating this work of art ...

Photo courtesy of the New Hampshire Modern Quilt Guild

Using fabric donated by Hawthorne Threads and this online tutorial, we made our X-plus quilt to support a local shelter for victims of domestic violence. And when the organization held a benefit and auction back in February, our quilt sold for $1,000!

My guild was really excited about this success, and knowing that I contributed to something so worthwhile compelled me to participate in our current charitable effort.

The blocks for this quilt start with a simple nine-patch trimmed out in a solid.


When they are set on point and staggered, however, a secondary chevron pattern emerges.


Brilliant, right? I wish I could take credit for the design, but it’s Pat Sloan’s Stitched quilt pattern. I also wish I could take credit for the color palette we’re using, but it’s another guild member’s great idea. I think the aqua and orange nine-patches paired with all that navy is going to look incredible and very modern. Once it’s done, we’re aiming to donate this quilt to another organization’s auction.

How about you? Do you belong to a guild that supports charitable causes with your art? If so, I’d love to hear your stories …



Follow on Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. Lovely work. It's a nice feeling to give back isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Navy is the new black isn't it? :) Your guild's quilt is stunning congrats to all of the participants for making such a beautiful donation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Let's Bee Social. I agree. The 9 patch set on point and staggered is going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you can't take credit for the colour combo, it's still a great one! Congratulations to you and your guild on making such a great contribution to your community. My guild, the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild. is working away on their first set of charity quilts. We can't wait to deliver some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! Our modern quilt guild is making a quilt for a raffle to benefit a local school for disabled children this fall and I agree that it is fun and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's definitely going to be a gorgeous quilt with those colors! And yes, I've participated in guild group quilts for charitable organizations. Check out our modern one on my blog at
    http://quiltfabrication.blogspot.com/2015/02/a-modern-group-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the nine patch blocks with the chevron pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilts!! I don't belong to a guild right now, but i do enjoy quilting for charitable organizations. I think what your guild is doing is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My guild, the West Houston Quilters' Guild (whqg.org), makes charity quilts, IV covers (courtesy of our knitters), stockings, receiving blankets, etc. Last year, I participated in making a Quilt of Valor quilt with my bee, and I also made one all by myself! Plus I quickly made a nursing home quilt around Thanksgiving when the guild got a call for 200 and only had 50 in reserve. This year I have made a nursing home quilt from US Army-themed fabric; you know there are veterans out there that will be proud to have it! I have also made a another nursing home quilt using the Fat Quarter Shop's pattern Jelly Roll Jam 2. It's just the right size to cover the lap but not tangle in the wheelchair wheels. I'm working on a THIRD charity quilt right now, and I don't think it will be my last for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finished a charity quilt this week and felt sooo proud of being able to make it. It is great when something you love doing can contribute to help other people. Both quilts are stunning! I'd be happy to be part of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful group quilt. It's great that it brought in $1000 for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh those guild Xplus blocks look great with the grey... I love it! And the 9 patch ones are looking interesting too! Look forward to seeing the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these blocks and the colours you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well now, I am apart of a guild that is making the same blocks. I also love the navy! Apparently it's the trending color :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our guild makes quilts for Siblings Together, a British charity that runs summer camps for siblings separated by the care system. The aim this year is that every child will leave with a quilt. i think between us at our guild we've made 8 quilts so far for this charity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.