Monday, March 16, 2015

Transformation Complete: I’ve Become My Mother

It’s official: I’ve become my mother. This isn’t news to anyone who knows me in non-blogging life, least of all my mother herself, but it’s a transformation that, I think, has only recently come to completion.

It began as an interest in sewing. That hobby then started to account for much of my free time. I decorated my house with handmade pillows, curtains, and such. I started dragging my children to fabric stores. I learned to quilt. My sewing machine and all the accoutrements that go with it laid claim to a sizable chunk of the square footage in my house. (My family used to call that space the “dining room.” My husband now calls it “Quilter’s Way,” after my local quilt shop. He thinks he’s being funny. He is not. My father calls the space my mother uses to sew the “sweat shop.” Now, that is funny. My dad also calls my mom’s guilds her “subversive groups,” convinced that a bunch of ladies don’t get together frequently to talk about sewing; they must be up to something more nefarious, like plotting world domination. Funny!)

Anyway, here is the latest sign that I’ve become my mother: I’m going on my first quilting retreat, and I’m crazy excited about it. This event doesn’t happen for another month, but I’m already choreographing my approach to nearly three days of uninterrupted sewing time. My current plan of attack is to cut three or four projects in advance of the trip, assembling whatever notions and stuff I will need. So far, this retreat looks as if it will be a scraptacular event.

Project #1: The Fat Quarter Shop’s Mini-Charm Mix Table Runner


I have some Christmas scraps to use up and like the simplicity of the Fat Quarter Shop’s Mini-Charm Mix Table Runner. (Get the free pattern here.) I cut up a bunch of fabrics that have a vintage feel to them—a red holly print, a green selection with bells and candy canes, a small red check, etc.—as well as a white-on-white crosshatch from Carolyn Friedlander. (My LQS had a bolt, and it went fast.) I’m hoping to chain-piece to my heart’s content during the retreat and save the quilting of this runner for afterward.



Project #2: Laura Jane Taylor’s Obsession Quilt


I’ve had Laura Jane Taylor’s Obsession Quilt on my radar screen since last fall. I thought I was further along with cutting the necessary squares, but once I began counting my stockpile, I realized I had more work to do.

I’m glad that I am prepping this ahead of schedule. As it turns out, there is a dearth of teal fabric—scraps or yardage—here at From Bolt to Beauty world headquarters. I need to remedy that!


I’m not sure what else I will take with me on my weekend away. Maybe projects #3 and #4 won’t be as scrappy; I’ll have to think about it. Have you been on a quilting retreat? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts on my preparation plans and whether you have any advice for me, the retreat newbie.

Linking up to Scraptastic Tuesday and the folks who keep me honest about the scrap scene around here as well as Sew Cute Tuesday, WIP Wednesday, Let’s Bee Social, and Needle and Thread Thursday ...

Follow on Bloglovin

14 comments:

  1. Yeah for scrappy projects! Have lots of fun at retreat but sorry not been on one yet - think you might want a few small gifts, snacks and cards or pins to exchange with your new friends. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not yet been to a retreat, but I can promise I am jealous of all the sewing you will get done and friends you will make at the one you are planning for! I hope you have a great time and I can't wait to read all about the experience right here! (And as for becoming your mother, well, it happens to the best of us! Best to accept and move forward from here! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to a quilting retreat, but is sounds like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like turning into your mother is not a bad thing :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that so lovely and a little scary at the same time ;-) I've noticed a similar development within me recently, especially since my two daughters were born. I've inherited a lot of good and fun things but also some traces I'd rather do without ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Mirror, mirror, on the wall,
    I am my mother after all!"

    All in all, not such a bad thing in most cases. I think it's great you can embrace it! Sounds like your mom has fun.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for you! I have never been on a retreat. But it looks like you are going to have a wonderful time. Your planned projects, so far, look so fun! What great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love quilt retreats! I'm going on my 7th (yes, 7th!) in April, over the border in the French Alps, I always prep loads of stuff to take, never get to do half of it but the preparation is all part of the fun :-) Hope you have a great time, your projects look divine :-)
    LPC

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only been on one, and it was fabulousness. We sewed all day, ate delicious food, and I slept eight uninterrupted hours that night, which I'm pretty sure I haven't done since. I came home feeling so relaxed and rested. It was super magical. I took way too much, and I maybe finished half of it, but it was so nice to laugh with my friend and work on whatever I fancied. I'm hoping to go on another later this summer. I hope you have an AMAZING time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great time at the retreat.. have never had the pleasure! Your color choices are fabulous! Have fun and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A quilting retreat sounds amazing! As a novice I'd love to go once and learn all that I could while I was there! Thanks for the link to the mini charm table runner. Super cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color palette you have selected for your second project in particular. I have never been on a retreat, but it sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to reading about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a great time ahead, worth the preparation I'm guessing. Like others I look forward to seeing how it goes and how the projects turn out too - the colours look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like such a fun retreat! Have a great time. Turning into our mothers is inevitable I think, I find myself correcting grammar and saying things like "You can, the question is 'May you''" all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.