Thursday, February 16, 2023

My FPP Technique for Set to Spin

 

*** Click here to purchase Set to Spin ***

This post supplements the instructions in my Set to Spin pattern with more information about the supplies I use and the foundation paper-piecing technique I prefer. There’s also a discussion about pressing.

Supplies

Rotary blades: I use two, one for fabric and one, outfitted with an older blade, for paper.

Glue stick: Any washable version will work fine.

Add-a-Quarter Ruler: This ruler has a lip on it that makes creating a quarter-inch seam allowance super easy, but it’s not mission critical. Any quilting ruler is suitable for the task.

Best Press Spray: I like this spray because it is scent-free and I can buy it in large jugs. Plenty of other, less expensive options for starch are available, though.

Newsprint: There are all sorts of specialty papers on the market for paper piecing. I find them to be expensive, though, and prefer using newsprint, which is very affordable and readily available in reams of 8.5" x 11" sheets that you can send through your printer. It’s also recyclable. I do find newsprint to be a little slippery to work with, so I often wear my quilting gloves while piecing with it to improve my grasp. 

Cardstock or thin cardboard: I use a piece to fold back my pattern and trim seams neatly and easily. (See the video below to learn more on this.)

Technique

I choose to cut my fabrics into simple, oversize rectangles. I find that the combination of oversize pieces and basic shapes prevents me from making mistakes and having to rip out stitches because a fabric doesn’t fully cover a section of the pattern. I also have problems with spatial concepts—my brain just doesn’t work that way!—and this technique compensates for that.

There is waste with this method, for sure. Once you see how I work with these pieces, I think you’ll understand the method to my madness, though. If you have a different technique that works for you, go for it!


Pressing the Seams

The Set to Spin pattern details how to press the A and B units in a way to get seams to nest. 

When it comes to sewing two quarter blocks together or two halves together, I recommend pressing the seams opens to produce less bulk in the seam allowances. However, if you’re using a dark fabric 1 and a light fabric 2, pressing the seams open could allow little triangles of fabric 1 to show through fabric 2. 

I found this out the hard way. Look at the shadows of that center fabric 1 in this picture:

To avoid this issue, I now trim back those little triangles of fabric 1. Look for these little flaps on each side of the A units:


Trim them with a pair of snips to look like this:

Because there are four A units in each finished block, there will be eight flaps to trim.

The Set to Spin testing crew did not flag any other issues with fabric showing through in the finished block. Just to be on the safe side, make sure your fabrics don’t cause any problems by sewing a test block. Place that test block on a piece of batting, and hold it up to a well-lit window, checking to see whether any darker fabrics show through.

Questions?

I hope this supplemental pattern information is helpful. If you have any questions, you can always drop me a note at frombolttobeauty [at] gmail [dot] com. 

*** Click here to purchase Set to Spin ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.