Friday, November 12, 2021

A Last Hurrah with My DS Stash / Beauties Pageant 153

I’ve come to realize that there are two ways to clean up my sewing space: the fast way and the slow way. The fast way is tossing fabric bits that are too small to use, selling no-longer-loved bundles, and passing orphan blocks to friends who will do something with them. The slow way is by finishing projects—ha! I go through spurts when I sort and organize to determine what stays and what goes, but always in the background are the slow projects, chugging along and waiting to be pushed to the head of the queue.

The hearts made with Denyse Schmidt fabric that you see at the top of the post are one of those slow projects. I’ve always loved Denyse’s designs. In fact, I’d say that I came to modern quilting through the DS door, and for the first few years, it was rare that I’d finish a project without at least one of her fabrics in it. And then two years ago, I decided to use up my DS stash once and for all. I was going to make several quilts and then sell off whatever scraps and yardage I had left over. It was time for some turnover in my stash!

That decision resulted in Farmhouse Chic, a quilt of concentric squares that uses fabrics from Denyse’s Eastham and New Bedford lines, along with scraps from other designers ...

To read more about Farmhouse Chic, click here.

It also led to two Ship’s Ladder quilts, as well as a version of Stepping Stones ...

This is the throw-size Ship’s Ladder. Read about it here.


Read more about Stepping Stones in this post.

Now I’m happy to say that I’m on my last quilt with my current DS stash. It’s a catch-all project and comprises many DS lines, for both independent quilt shops and big-box stores. I’m using this tutorial, called Random Hearts. Of course, I finished 15 blocks and then had to set them aside to take care of higher-priority projects, but the project has already proved to be a fun, fast sew.

Are you a fellow fan of Denyse Schmidt? If so, I’d love to hear about it in the comments—or better yet, post a project using her fabric or one of her patterns in the linky. DS finishes old and new are welcome!

 

Follow Me On ...


 
* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. I might have a random DS fabric in my stash but I would not even be able to point it out *sorry* - So no quilts from me... but I love your collection and wish your hearts quilt a fast recovery. It looks so sweet! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like Mel--a random piece here and there. But I am a fan of Denyse and heard her speak when she was in town. I especially like how she introduced the quilting world, and me, to figure 8 quilting. Each of your quilts are beauties, Michelle! I read your first paragraph aloud to my DH and he, also, got a good laugh out of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hearts are going to make such a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to see the DS quilts together. I look forward to seeing the hearts grow into a quilt top and finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to start sewing my stash. Maybe that will be a goal for next year. ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.