Friday, November 22, 2019

The Sobering WIP Count / Beauties Pageant 58

In a moment of self-imposed accountability this past week, I made a list of my WIPs. Anything that I had pulled fabric and chosen a pattern for counted. The exercise was a sobering one ... I have 21 WIPs. For some quilters, that number is laughable. For me, someone whose sweet spot is 5 or 6 WIPs at any given time, that number is overwhelming.

But I’ve got five weeks left in 2019, and I’m going to make the most of them. I want to finish as many quilts as I can, so I’m focusing on the low-hanging fruit: Anything that already exists as a quilt top is a high priority. I just bound my QuiltCon challenge submission (pictures to come), and I’m moving on to these two large baby quilts. I’m planning on quilting a simple two-inch grid on point. The binding for both is sewn and pressed, ready to go.

These two quilts have their own palette, but both are built around Seaside Carnival
 by Rae Ritchie for Dear Stella.

Ritchie’s illustrations run the gamut, from whimsical carousels to tattooed mermaids.

The lighter peach version and this orchid one are for two sisters. I love how
both projects are the same design and use the same fabric collection but are very different.

Once these two baby quilts are completed, I’ll be down to 18 WIPs. I think I could potentially finish an additional 4 before December 31st, which would be awesome. Fourteen WIPs is a respectable point to start the new year, right?

Feel free to start a pool betting on whether or not I can accomplish this in the comments—HA!

* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter
Follow on Bloglovin

17 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'm a bit scared to think how many WIPs I might have :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know that I am a queen of WIPS and UFOs. According to my running list, I have about 20, but that doesn't count some of the leftover blocks and really old abandoned projects that I am not necessarily willing to admit to having. I have about four projects I know I can get done between now and Christmas (partially because some of them have deadlines, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully I only have 3 WIPs to finish out for 2019, but then there's the 10 I have ready to go as UFOs in 2020! Hey, at least I am ready for the 2020 UFO Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! I have a lot more WIPs than normal, too, and I'm hoping I get some free time after deadlines to work my list down a bit, too. Fingers crossed for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same goal, but my Sweet Sixteen decided not to be so sweet. I'm sure you can get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, 21 is a bit too many for me. I'm the 3-5 WIP kinda girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am feeling good because I am down to 16. But I know some starts are in my future :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s an impressive number of WIPs! But it sounds like you have a good strategy for bringing that number down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can do it!!! ☺ I need to re-visit my list. The last two months have been hectic, and it didn't take much to get sidetracked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How brave of you! No way am I counting mine. I have a closet with tops hanging. That's my big problem. But over the last few months I have started sewing my WIP in bags. One had 75 Farmer's Wife blocks. I finished that top and it's out at the longer quilter's. I've managed to combine projects or finish 5 plastic bags' worth that were hanging out on my shelves for ten years. Good luck to you. This is a bad time of year to get any real sewing accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These two baby quilts are such sweet colors! You are braver than me, Michelle! Instead I keep a "to-do" list--the quilts I want to work on next. When I finish one quilt, I check my list and can move right on to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilts and loads and loads of inspiration always to be found here, Michelle. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, if I had to guess, I would say I have 7 or 8 WIPs. I am not entirely sure though - I know I have four tops to quilt. There is one where the blocks are nearly sewn and ready to stitch into a top. But I am likely overlooking something so I estimate a bit higher. Good luck! I agree with you that it can feel a little chaotic when there are too many things in process.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd only start that pool if it really helps you stay motivated :) But if you want to get the number down, than you have all my virtual motivation and support if needed. I have been contemplating that WIP number for the last year and am still not sure about my own heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, in response to your "sobering" experience of WIP counting: When it comes to art at least, sobriety might be overrated!! Your baby quilts are cute and, if you're feeling overwhelmed by your WIPs and that's holding you back from starting new projects that you're drawn to, then knocking out your "low-hanging fruit" is a good way to get to a better frame of mind. But a lot of what we do is more about the journey than it is about the destination. With some of my UFOs that languished the longest, it was because I hit a roadblock technically and I couldn't come back to it until I gained skills or knowledge that I needed to solve a problem. With some of the others, there was a lot of really repetitive piecing or appliqué prep that I needed to take a break from and do something else before coming back to it. We learn so much along the way, especially from the projects that really stretch us and challenge us, which are often the ones that drag out the longest. Remember how the Catholic Church used to sell indulgences before the Reformation, like "Get-Out-of-Purgatory Free Cards?" I'm giving you an indulgence right now that absolves you of any and all Quilt Guilt you may be experiencing about those WIPs or UFOs or whatever you want to call them. Life is short, make something pretty and remember that everything you've ever worked on, finished or not, has contributed to the skills you have today and what you DO finish. There's no such thing as a wasted effort in quiltmaking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that you will able to make a good dent in your WIP list, your two finishes here are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck Michelle. I'm not going anywhere near what my count is at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.