Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Good Day Sunshine Quilt

Read the Accompanying Tutorial

I don’t think I’m in much of a position to complain—winter has been pretty wimpy here in New England. A few weeks ago, though, I got all twitchy about the dreary skies and salt-covered cars and grayness of it all. Since quilting is my solution to almost everything, I made a quilt, an effort to combat my spring-deprived state. Pairing gray 2.5-inch squares with ones in gold, orange, blue, navy, and green, I made a scrappy version of my Ridiculously Easy Jelly Roll Quilt and named it Good Day Sunshine.

Good Day Sunshine: my solution to the end-of-the-winter blues.

I’m pretty pleased with the fabric usage here, folks. The chevrons alone were 2½ yards of fabric, and the backing ate up some big chunks of Denyse Schmidt fabrics (some from my first-ever quilt!). This is well-timed fabric use: T minus one month until I go back to Marden’s. (The last time I was there I bought more than 30 yards of fabric ... for less than $150!)

I’m pretty sure I’m the only quilt blogger who has photo shoots at the cemetary!

To make your own Good Day Sunshine Quilt, head over to the tutorial!

Lots of lovely Denyse Schmidt fabrics on the back.


I really enjoyed quilting this project with big chevrons that mimic the design.
(Wait. Did I just say I enjoyed quilting something?!)

For those of you who are keeping track of the math, I did use a jelly roll in this project—a solid white one. In January, I noted that after using two jelly rolls, I still had four stashed. You would think I’d be down to three now, right? Nope. My boys bought me this beauty for my birthday in February. Three jelly rolls down, still four to go!

Blueberry Park by Karen Lewis

I’m curious ... do the seasons influence your sewing projects? I’ve had a beach bag on my to-do list forever. I suspect I’ll get around to making it some rainy day this spring, in eager anticipation of the summer. : )

Linking up to Let’s Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday, and Finish It Up Friday ...

Follow on Bloglovin

24 comments:

  1. Congrats on your tutorial! I saw SMS first and did a little cheer for you! :) The seasons influence me constantly. The worst one is winter - I hardly ever feel like making wintery things at that time because it's my least favorite season. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt and great tutorial! The seasons do influence me, I am getting energized by the new leaves that are starting to come out on our trees right now in early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seasons definitely influence me as to holidays on rare occasion. I just took some glorious flower photos on a weekend trip that are bound to inspire a fabric pull in very short order!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial and use of scraps. The cemetery makes sense for a photo shoot. Lots of open spaces and natural light. Do you get weird looks from people?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial! The seasons don't influence me, exactly, but I've noticed I knit more in spring/summer and sew more in fall/winter...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of scraps. I really like your explanation of how you picked your color palette using scraps. Congrats on a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your quilt and your tutorial. The quilting looks really good on this. I like your advice on the scrap color scheme. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt! Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great quilt. So colourful and bright. On my way over to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this quilt! And thanks for the tutorial! It was so much fun seeing you this morning at Quilters Way! I may have to use some of my new fabric to make this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am affected by the seasons. And you found the perfect project to provide the solution. This is such a happy quilt and I love the name! How funny (and sweet) that you still have four jelly rolls in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous quilt!!! It is so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAYAYAYAY!!!! This is a lovely quilt, Michelle!!! But no, the seasons don't usually affect my sewing... I must be off in my own sunshiney world all the time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! Definitely beats the winter blues!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bold, bright and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. create color selection. It's so cheery

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty quilt! I may have to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's beautiful! I love the scrappy look, and it's definitely brighter than the dreary grey days we have going on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh really nice! I love it when you link. I love your blog name. I want it. LOL! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My sewing is definitely influenced by the seasons; once the snow goes on our farm I don't have much time to sew. lol, I know that's not what you meant... most of my winter time sewing includes saturated colourful prints and I'm sure they help lift the mood of the days with less sunshine. Beautiful quilt, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very inspiring! And even though spring is here in the South, I still need a cheery quilt to think about. Thanks for this great tutorial and thorough explanation of your color selection process.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very inspiring! And even though spring is here in the South, I still need a cheery quilt to think about. Thanks for this great tutorial and thorough explanation of your color selection process.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I sew more in summer, I think - too hot to do much outdoors here. Or maybe I sew differently: more hand sewing in winter by the fire and more machine sewing in summer under the fan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.