Wednesday, July 23, 2014

PB&J, Multimedia Style

I’ve been enamored with Basic Grey’s PB&J line, for Moda, since its debut a year or two ago. So when I won a stack of PB&J mini-charms from my local quilt shop, I was pretty psyched and started plotting what I would do with them.

 
During a visit to the Moda Bake Shop, I discovered Cheryl Brickey’s Candy Circle quilt. It was one thing to view selections from PB&J on the bolt or flipping through my little deck of mini-charms, but now having finished piecing my Candy Circle top, I have a whole new appreciation for the line.


When I look at the color palette, I feel as if I’m viewing it through an Instagram filter: the geometrics and florals seem to have the slightest of sepia undertones. Gosh, it’s crazy pretty.

Before I was a sewer, I was a paper crafter, and it just so happens that I have a stack of PB&J in paper form. I couldn’t resist … I need some blank cards, stuff I can use for thank-yous and such, so I made some simple quilting-inspired cards. See—I made a quilt and cards using them same designs from Basic Grey! (Clearly, I am easily amused.)


There is a constant stream of amazing fabric lines being released. I have to let so many of them pass me by. After all, there’s only so much time in the day to sew, and I try to confine my stash to an oversized dresser drawer (and a big plastic bin and a few bags here and there). I’m glad I got to work with PB&J—in different media, at that!—before it disappears from store shelves.

A word on our sponsor: A thank-you to the biggest sponsor of From Bolt to Beauty, my husband, who kindly took my older son on a 400-mile road trip, allowing me to get serious sewing and crafting done this week. I promise to rid Mantown of all craft paraphernalia before your return!

Linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday and ...

http://www.sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2014/06/lets-bee-social-26.html

7 comments:

  1. That is an adorable little quilt and I love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to paper craft too.. and have a 6 x 6 of pb& j I got before I knew they made it in fabric.. love how your candy circle turned out! Totally lovely.. your cards are amazing too! Thanks for sharing and linking! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Michelle, that is gorgeous! I have taken to keeping tabs on what you are up to on your blog and was so pleased to see your quilt on Needle and Thread! I too love Basic Grey fabrics and the way you used them is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy Circle quilt is great! I just love it and I am with you the fabric line Basic Grey's is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous quilt, Michelle! Love that PB & J! You chose the perfect pattern to show it off. And those handmade cards are so special! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great ... I have some PB & J that I have no idea what to do with! This would work :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.