Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Getting Ahead of Myself

A few weeks ago, I invited two friends who had never quilted to join me in a disappearing nine-patch quilt-along. It’s been great fun, and my plan has been to stay just a few steps ahead of them. That way, I always have something to use for demonstration purposes. We cater to visual learners here at the Michelle School of Quilting.


The problem is, I’m having way too much fun. I found myself on a roll and couldn’t stop myself … until I had six of the eight rows all pieced.

I pinky-swear, Miss L and Miss C, not to do any more work for the time being. But I’ll be doing some thinking.

Like, should I add a tomato-red border or not? I consider this to be a red quilt—which is preposterous because a mere two-ninths of it is red. But it’s the red fabric with the endearing blue birds that started this quilt and grew it into the collection of red, orange, teal, yellow, and white it is now.


The Kona Tomato I picked out, however, doesn’t quite match the red in Lauren and Jessi Jung’s Hideaway. (The picture doesn’t capture the difference particularly well. The Kona fabric is a brighter red.) What do you think? Can this quilt stand without a border?


One way or another, I’d like the binding to be on the dark side, something that grounds the quilt. Maybe the Kona Tomato could work there, despite the color discrepancy with some of the blocks? Or should I use the sweet birds as binding? Help!

Linking up to . . .

http://www.sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2014/06/lets-bee-social-26.html

9 comments:

  1. I really like your quilt-I think a border would make it pop and I like the idea of a solid red with your print binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those ideas, too. But I have just enough time to undecide and redecide them a few times over!

      Delete
  2. Such a cute little quilt! Without seeing it person it's hard to tell which red would work the best, but I was thinking if you have a hard time matching the reds, then maybe just a white binding would work to keep those reds popping! How are you planning to quilt it? Maybe a little free-motion action??? Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A *white* binding. Now, that's something to have a good think about. It's so sweet that you think I'm brave enough to venture down the FMQ road right now! I'm craving some all-over straight-line quilting with this project, though -- probably a big 60-degree diamond pattern.

      Delete
  3. I vote no border. Its great just as is. As to binding color....solid red would look good. Also like the above suggestion of a white. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It occurred to me I could think outside of the (red) box ... maybe forgo the border and use that teal flower fabric as the binding. This is how my stash grows. I buy, say, 3/4 yd of Kona Tomato to add a border or bind a quilt and change my mind. Presto -- now I have 3/4 yd of Kona Tomato in my stash!

      Delete
  4. I like the suggestions of red or white for the binding. I think either would really look fierce! As to border, I think you could go either way. The DP9 my student is making is using a thin white inner border and a scrappy outer border using the fabrics from the quilt. I don't think she's decided on binding just yet. But she fell in love with a particular quilt picture that we're using for inspiration. I think I'd probably go without a border personally unless I needed to get the size up. Whatever you do though, you'll have a lovely finish when it's done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if you put in a small light border (maybe the teal flower fabric you mentioned?) before the red border. It would separate the different shades of red but still allow you to bring the red out. Love your colors! It will be beautiful whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read through everyone's ideas and I like Rachel's suggestions, if you are going to add a border. Looking really good though! Love the combination of red and teal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.