Friday, August 14, 2026

Fear Not the Y-Seam! / Beauties Pageant 340

Back in 2017, when I was still a baby quilter, I believed the rumors about machine-sewing y-seams, and they were to be avoided at all costs! Pattern after pattern, after all, reassured me and other potential buyers that its design could be replicated successfully—no y-seams required. 

Four years into my quilting adventures, however, I bought a hexagon die for my AccuQuilt Go and decided to see for myself: Were y-seams such a big deal?

In short, no. Sewing them was not the same experience as chain-piecing other projects, but it wasn’t hard, either. I started with a simple baby-size project of diecut hexagons ...

And graduated to more-complicated designs ...

When people asked whether I would turn such designs into patterns the one-word negative response was always the same, though: y-seams.

Until now! The same technique that has most quilters running for the hills is exactly what QuiltCon workshop participants are looking for. 

If you’re planning on attending QuiltCon 2027 in Atlanta and would like to try your hand at y-seams, let me introduce you to Circa 1870 ...


I sewed Circa 1870 in 2017, and it hang at QuiltCon 2019, in Nashville. This project is a great introduction to y-seams. The hexagons aren’t too small to make you think you might want to sew them together by hand. They’re also not too big and unwieldy to work with. I will hold two session of this three-hour class, billed as No-Handwork-Required Hexagons, on Thursday, February 25, 2027. By the end of class, you’ll be armed with the experience and formal pattern (including videos) to finish this top at home!

Even if you won’t be attending QuiltCon, I want to know: Have you tried y-seams, and what’s your verdict on them?

Follow Me On ...  


 
 
* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's going to be a great class and will empower more quilters to not fear the y seam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y-seams and partial seams really aren't hard. I'm not sure why so many fear them. Have fun with the class. I have used a template for a 1/2 hexie that eliminates the need for y-seams. The result is a seam down the center of the hexie, but for those that fear... it is an option! Thanks for the chance to share in your party.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.