Thursday, August 1, 2024

Me and EPP / Beauties Pageant 260

These are words I thought I’d never write: I started an English paper-piecing project, and I’m really enjoying it!

But really, with multiple road trips this summer and two weeks when I’ve had to while away the mornings far from my sewing machine, it was either get on board with hand sewing or miss out on creating this summer.

My first go at EPP is the Rosemary Quilt from Jodi Godfrey’s Seedlings Quilts. I’m making a slightly larger version of the pattern that showcases 11 EPP blocks in solid fabrics. The remaining 55 blocks will all be florals and other prints from my stash.

I am pretty pleased with how things are going. I’m sewing about 16 stitches per inch with a straw needle and Gutermann 50 weight thread. Even though this project requires relatively few EPP blocks, the shapes aren’t the easiest to work with (check out those deep Y-seams!), and some of my finished blocks are more precise than others. I think the quilting will camouflage those imperfections just fine, though.

My next project will be Michelle Bartholomew’s Flower Fest pattern. I am hoping that those hexie shapes will be a little more forgiving!

Are you a fan of EPP? Truly, I never thought I would enjoy hand sewing, so it’s been a nice surprise!

Follow Me On ...


 
* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. I used to do a lot of EPP but now it makes my right thumb ache. You are young, you have many years of EPP ahead of you. It is a wonderful handwork project, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like switching to slow stitching every now and again. It is lovely having a project that can be taken out of the sewing room and go travelling along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like EPP and I like the flat back stitch....I don't know which you are doing. I have a few hand projects to get back to...maybe when winter sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your EPP project looks great! Great idea for the on the go

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle, I haven't done EPP in a while. I've tried a couple of different shapes but always go back to hexies. I have a project that is 6 years in the making and tons of hexies. This is not the year that it will be finished lol. I really like the quilt that you're working on and the Flower Fest Pattern is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, I think your EPP looks fantastic, but wanted to steer you towards a couple of resources that I found really helpful when I used EPP for a monogram block on a baby quilt a few years ago (wrote up in this blog post: https://www.rebeccagracequilting.com/2020/09/my-aqs-qal-letter-home-continues.html) First tip came from Dianne Gilleland's All Points Patchwork book, to use a firmer paper template material with shapes that have narrow points like the center diamonds you show in today's post. Second tip came from the Brimfield Awakening quilters; they recommend (and sell on their web site) a product called Embroidery Perfection Tape that is awesome for EPP. Instead of stitching your patches together RST with just your fingers or clips holding them in place, you lay them together flat, right side up, and tape that seam line with everything perfectly aligned and then stitch from the back. This product also makes it possible to use EPP for curved shapes like clam shells or apple cores. Anyway, both of these were huge helps to me so I thought I'd pass it along in case it might help you to enjoy your gorgeous EPP project even more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.