Friday, October 22, 2021

An Economy Block Finish / Beauties Pageant 150

The un-blogged-about, yet-to-be-photographed finishes are starting to pile up at From Bolt to Beauty world headquarters. It’s a good position for me, as a blogger, to be in, and I look forward to sharing a long string of finishes with you in the upcoming weeks!

Today I’m revealing an Art Gallery economy block quilt that I made as part of a guild challenge. (For details on the challenge and the tutorial I used to piece these blocks, see this post.) It’s a lovely throw-size project that busted through more than 7 yards of stash and scraps, and it is made of 100 percent Art Gallery prints and Pure Solids.

I had a lot of fun playing with these fabrics. Some of them, truth be told, were slated for destashing—I just couldn’t foresee using them in projects. In the end, however, even those questionable prints—including the hopscotch design and the tire swing fabric in the pictures above and below—were useful to the mix here.

This project is my favorite kind to sew. There are so many prints in it and no background fabric. The fun, then, is really in the fabric pull and seeing how the quilt comes together with the fabric I have on hand. (Plaid-ish is similarly fun. In fact, I hope to sew another one in the next few months.)

Although I couldn’t be happier with the results I achieved with this project, I’m pleased to send it out into the world. I’m getting to the point with quilts that I don’t feel the need to keep all of them. I mean, I have always gifted the majority of my projects, but I’m starting to realize that if I keep, say, five quilts each year, I’ll soon be bursting at the seams with quilts. A quick count tells me I have kept at least 20 quilts during my quilting career, received 3 others as gifts, and finished another 5 that will be gifted or sold in the near future. (Only one of the 20 keepers was completed this year: It’s the American flag Love Boldly I made during my quilt-along.)

This lovely is headed to a mini quilt show with my guild and then will be donated to charity. : )

Follow Me On ...


 
* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

  1. Your quilt is a beauty! The colour palette is very pretty. And how exciting to have a string of quilt finishes to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Economy block is such a great block to use a wide variety of fabrics with. I’ve finished one top and have several more blocks cut out for a second one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle! I remember when you shared these blocks with us and your tutorial and tips. This block has been floating around in my memory bank - a rare occurrence that I even recall where the inspiration is from. I even started a shell of a post with a link to your post for the yet-unmade quilt top. Thank you for sharing your final product! I love the fabric choices - I didn't KNOW I was an AG fan until just recently. So, this gentle poke has renewed my interest in this block. It is a lovely finish. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne P.S. And I know what you mean about being able to let go of quilts somewhat easier now! When every one you make is your 'favorite' that designation becomes a bit meaningless. Better to share the 'ooh, that's pretty' with others and then make a new pretty one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some really sweet prints in this quilt, and your points (even with the binding) look so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased with those points, Yvonne -- thanks for noticing! Of course, then I forgot about being deliberate with trimming after quilting my second economy block quilt, and many points were lost in the process of binding that project. Sadness!

      Delete
  5. Yay! Finishes are awesome ;) I am also growing the feeling that I do not need to keep every quilt. Sometimes I make specifically for myself, but othertimes it is the better choice to give it away or sell it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.