Friday, September 25, 2020

That's One Big Block / Beauties Pageant 99

I went on a Christmas-fabric buying bender at the end of 2018 and am still working my way through the resulting yardage. Those purchases included the pile of half-yards pictured above, from Kate and Birdie’s Return to Winter’s Lane collection. I adore Christmas palettes that include not-so-Christmassy colors like that pale blue.

I’ve cut up those lovelies to create Camille Roskelley’s Norway quilt pattern. This pattern is right up my alley—chunky and graphic with big blocks that measure in at 26 inches square ...

All that lone block needs is eight friends to create a generously sized throw quilt. How generously sized? Well, the resulting quilt top will be so large that I am having problems finding a good spot to lay out the blocks, let alone take a picture of the group! More specifically, the finished quilt will be 78 inches square; the basted quilt sandwich will be more like 86 inches square. 

My initial plan was to quilt this project myself, with an all-over crosshatch, on my machine at home. I could quilt from the center outward to minimize the amount of fabric and batting I pass under the needle (I’m not opposed to burying the threads that approach will necessitate). But please, someone, talk me out of it! Surely, this project is better left to a longarmer.

Follow Me On ...


 
* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle! Wowee! A 26" block! That sounds right up my alley as well, although I'd have the same issue finding a spot to lay out the blocks. That is a very generous sized quilt to work on your DSM. You could do it . . . Having wrestled a few t-shirt quilts larger than that myself, I would say send it out if you like. {{Hugs}} and Happy Friday! Thanks for the link-up. I just HAVE to go read about that pretty elephant! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That *is* a big block! It looks great and I'm sure the whole quilt will be amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great (I love big blocks)! I don't know if you need talked out of quilting it at home, but I know whatever you decide to do will turn out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like big blocks but that one is enormous! Finish the top and decide how to finish it. Either way it will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are pretty Christmas fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll have a quilt top done in no time with BIG blocks like that! Very pretty! That will be on the large size, I'd send it out for quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love big blocks (and I can not lie :) I love them too because once you sew up 4-9 of them, your quilt top is almost finished already.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.