Friday, April 10, 2020

Owls and Bunnies, Quilted and Bound / Beauties Pageant 76


Not all fabric designs are conducive to being cut into little bits and sewn back together. Some are better off cut into big chunks and showcased. Such is the case with Maureen Cracknell’s Nightfall line, a collection I won in fat quarters ages ago that features beautiful oversize owls and sweet bunnies.

It took a long time to find the right pattern for Maureen’s designs, but when Alison Vermilya posted her Garden Plots pattern to Moda Bake Shop, I knew Garden Plots and Nightfall were a great match.


Alison’s pattern calls for a jelly roll and yardage, so I had to get creative, supplementing my Nightfall fat quarters with solids from my stash and trimming down the size of the project. In the end, I made it work, although there was more unsewing than I would have liked as I refined my plan for the quilt.

The back was an opportunity to use up gold and teal yardage, and my friend Lisa Teichmann quilted the project on her longarm.


I still have a stack of Nightfall fat quarters from the Moonset colorway—all in eggplant and salmon and teal. Do you have any recommendations for other quilt patterns that will allow me to keep the critters in this line intact? If so, I’m all ears (big, floppy bunny ears, that is).

Linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday ...

* * *


The pageant rules are simple:
  • Post your finish in the linky tool. (No links to your own giveaway or linky, please!)
  • Point your readers back here with a text link or use the button above.
  • Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter
Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. Love your quilt. What about the pattern from 3-yard quilts called Suite Times. It's in the Easy Peasy 3-Yards Quilt book. I've done it and I think it would be great for featuring large prints. The feature fabric squares I think are about 10 inches - I can measure if you like. It's a simple quilt but sometimes you just want the fabric to shine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see the finished version of this quilt! It was a perfect choice for this fabric and showing off the large scale prints. I actually made a second version of the quilt last year and did the same thing with the large scale prints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this came together. Some prints really deserve to shine and this is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very attractive quilt, both in design and fabrics - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a perfect way to use those fabrics! I never know what to do with large scale fabrics, lol. They're pretty, but I find them so hard to actually use :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fun, modern pattern! And I like the quilting design your quilter did, too. I have a Pinterest board for Focus Fabric quilt patterns: https://www.pinterest.com/gracepeacequilt/focus-fabric-quilts/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finish. It looks awesome. Those owls are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great. Did you use the bunnies in this quilt? It's hard to tell. Maybe the bunnies are going to be in with the other group from this fabric line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that some fabrics must be showcased. I too have a darling piece of elephant fabric that I am waiting for the right pattern for so as not to chop it up to invisibility.

    I just love the way you quilted this one, and the colors are so refreshing and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! I love what you did with those fabrics. Those owls! The quilt is cute and the pattern is perfect for showing off the prints.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love this!! Definitely need to highlight some of those motifs!! I have made two baby quilts with this fabric line (using the same pattern - very unlike me!) and am hoarding every little scrap. The pattern I used is Foxfire (free on the AGF site) modified slightly to ensure the animals didn't get cropped.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.