Friday, October 9, 2015

The Reluctant Pouch Maker

This past Wednesday morning, I woke up in a ridiculously good mood. Even before my brain could process the facts about the day ahead of me, the rest of me knew that I would have nearly six consecutive hours at home without my children. There was so much I was going to do. Scrub the kitchen floor! Wash my car windows! Go grocery shopping! Take a walk! Oh, and finish four tiny sewing projects.

I started with the sewing. I wanted to get it out of the way so I could focus on the rest of my to-do list.

I’m sure you see where this is going.

I spent Wednesday—well, Wednesday morning, before I gave up my delusions of a crazy-productive day—sewing one of the four pouches I needed for gifts. Quilting has seriously hindered my ability to forecast the time smaller projects require. If a quilt takes a bajillion hours to make, a pouch should take just an hour or two, right?

It’s now Friday morning, and I have two pouches to show for my efforts ...


I followed this tutorial from Pink Stitches and used fabric and zippers from my stash. For the first time, I used P.U.L. (polyurethane laminate) for the lining. This material is often found in baby diapers, changing pads, and the like. I used it here thinking the easy-to-wipe material would transform these simple lined pouches into more durable toiletry bags.


Some notes that are more for Future Michelle, should she want to make more of these pouches, than they are for you, dear reader ...

* For the smaller pouch, I used 8” x 13” rectangles for both the interior and exterior and a 13” zipper. I cut out 2” squares to box the corners. The strap is 4” x 7”.

* For the larger pouch, I used 10” x 15” rectangles for both the interior and exterior and a 15” zipper. I cut out 1.5” squares to box the corners. The  4” x 7” strap I made wasn’t long enough, so I omitted it.

I have little more to sew on the two remaining bags. Surely, I can finish them today, right?! If you have had comparable experiences sewing non-quilts, please share in the comments, and I will email you some sympathy.

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday and TGIFF ...


Follow on Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. Oh yes. Yes. Sadly yes. The last two makeup bags I made for my daughters ended up taking twice as long as I'd anticipated...and I'd already made that pattern like 4 times previously...last time was 2 years ago, but still. Current quilt on the frame, should be done in a couple of hours, as it's a wheelchair quilt...2 days later...I know I did some other stuff but geez louise! Offering my shoulder for you in sympathy and in empathy, as I know you're going to offer me yours! Waaah. But the end product is always worth it right?! That's what keeps us going back... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear I am not the only one that miscalculates how long a project will take. The pouches sure turned out great though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pouches! We all think we will make much more than we are able to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the notes to Future Michelle. Your boxy pouches are lovely. You did a wonderful job matching up the pattern while installing the zipper. That is sometimes a chore. Yes, nonquilts take twice or longer time. I used to go all out on Christmas gifts even making my own gift bags etc. Lots of late hours and my hubby getting more and more ticked off on when I was coming to bed that evening. So I certainly feel for you. House cleaning can be whenever. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely pouches and I love that they can be used as toilet bags. Great idea to give notes to your self here for future reference. Sometimes I remember to write notes as I am going but then of course mislay the book or lose the scrap of paper I wrote them on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pouches. I never thought about using PUL for the interior. Good idea. Good luck with the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'd think 6 hours was a lot, but if you have kids and a house to take care of and all of the little things, you're crazy efficient to finish anything... Congrats on the pouches. I love the colors and the complimentary zippers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They came out super cute though! Seriously, I've probably done more bags/pouches than quilts (though both are pretty low numbers) and it still takes forever. I went out on my lunch break to get fabric for Halloween costumes and my newest coworker asked me how long it would take me - I told her twice as long as I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always miscalculate how long things will take me...quilts, non-quilt sewing projects, supper, just about anything. Apparently I have no idea how long it takes me to do anything! The bags are lovely, even if they did take longer than expected :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous colour used for your pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Future Michelle...ha, love that! I do those kind of notes sometimes too -- great way to keep track of modifications. Well, maybe you didn't get as much done on your list as you'd hoped, but you have these fabulous pouches and they stay done! That's a win in my book. Love the colours, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every project takes me such a long time! I am starting to think that quilts are one of the quickest projects to make! These pouches are great though and will be well used!

    ReplyDelete
  13. But hey - two are done!!! That's two more than before. :D Pouches always take less time than I think... but I think that has more to do with my lazy practices than my actual ability to predict. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two out of four is pretty good in my world! I always think small things will be quicker when in reality larger things are quicker. Guess you can put them on your retreat to do list ... only one more week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great Michelle! I love how the pattern matches up on the pouch, you did an awesome job with that (unless it was unintentional at which point please lie to me so I think you're a pouch super star!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finishing 2 out of 4 is pretty good. I forget how long little things take to sew too, it just seems like they should be faster because they are so much smaller but that never seems to be the case.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.