Friday, May 30, 2014

Lotus Pond Tote

When I received my parcel of Lotus Pond, my husband rolled his eyes and said, “You need more fabric?” I answered with a straight face, “But all the cool kids have it!”


I was only half-joking. This line, from Rae Hoekstra of Made By Rae fame, is newly released, and I didn’t want to miss out. The colors are fabulous: watery blues of all shades, juicy tangerine, a preppy green . . .

I purchased nearly the full line in half-yards with the intention of making a quilt. Which is why I’m surprised to unveil my Lotus Pond tote . . .


I fancy myself more of a quilter than a sewer of bags these days, but quilts take so darn long and I have many in the pipeline already. This free tote pattern, from Anna Graham of Noodlehead, is a simple, quick sew and features two roomy pockets on the front. (Heads up: If you use a directional pattern to make this bag or make your own straps as I did, you’ll need more fabric than indicated in the instructions. Just do the math before buying fabric.)

I really loved pairing Lotus Pond with some Essex Linen. After finishing the bag, though, I looked at the back. BAH! A missed opportunity. If I could do it again, I would have used more Lotus Pond on the back. I won’t make that mistake again (oh yes, there will be another tote bag).


As for the rest of my Lotus Pond prints, I don’t think they’ll be withering in my stash for long. I think there may be a quilt in there after all.

I’m linking up this post to Finish It Up Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely tote bag. Nice use of the prints! And thank goodness for 'next times'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! And hurray for a quick finish! If you want to make more bags, I love the Super Tote pattern by Noodlehead. Same kind of look as your tote, but with bigger exterior pockets. But I put pockets on the front and back - can't have too many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to pop over to see your Lotus Pond Tote and I love it, well I love anything paired with Essex Linen so this is looking super fab - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.